In these times, people are so busy with their careers or businesses or other concerns that they sometimes don’t find the time to undertake activities like taking their dog out for a walk. At least, not every day of the week! Even though people usually love their pets, time constraints force them to delegate at least some of the activities pertaining to their pets such as dog walking. What is something of a loss for dog owners can become a gain for someone who loves spending time with animals. In fact, if someone loves animals, few things can be as satisfying as being a professional dog walker.
The benefits of this career, even if you take it up part-time, are many:
· You can walk different breeds of dogs, both big and small. This is basically an opportunity to spend time with many different kinds of dogs, and if you are a dog lover, it is one of the few things, which are gratifying.
· You get the chance to exercise while walking a dog and this way, you can incorporate your own fitness regime into your dog walking routine.
· This is the kind of job where you get paid to do what you love to do already. Not only are timings flexible, you are making money while having fun.
· This job does not come with the stress and pressure associated with being a business owner or even working at a desk job.
· You get the satisfaction of serving the community. Moreover, since most dog walking agencies are associated with some respected animal welfare organizations like the RSPCA, you also enjoy the association by being part of the agency.
But before you apply, keep in mind that most of these agencies select their walkers using a stringent selection process.
The selection process usually involves:
· Police verification to ensure that only genuinely responsible and caring individuals are enlisted for dog walking.
· You will also usually get a basic training in first aid from an experienced vet. This is to ensure that you can be of some help in case an accident involving the pet occurs.
· You should know your gear such as which type of dog belt to use for different breeds and for various activities such as running or walking.
· You should also be available during business hours. Remember, it is because people cannot spare the time to take their dogs out for a walk during the working week that they hire dog walkers or dog minders.
· You should have your own vehicle and a valid licence to drive it.
· You should be able to use a mobile phone and access the Internet so that an agency can contact you when work is available.
· But most importantly, you should be a reliable and trustworthy individual who is genuinely passionate about dogs. A dog owner should be able to trust you with the animal.
If you feel that you are deeply in love with dogs and would love to spend time with them, then opting for dog careers such as training dogs or minding them may also be good options for you.